Choosing a Vacuum
Here is where your journey to find the right vacuum begins. A very large percentage of our customers come to the store and ask us, “What’s the best vacuum for sale?” There is only one correct answer to that question. The answer is, “It depends.”
Remember, there are many different types of vacuums but the BEST vacuum cleaner for YOU is the one that will do the cleaning job that you require, on the surfaces that you must clean, with the effectiveness that you need. You should be able to afford the right vacuum, and you should feel comfortable using it regularly.
About every 3rd person who comes to our store says that they want a “lightweight” vacuum. Our next question is, “Do you want a vacuum with cleaning tools and hose attachments on board?” 9 out of 10 times the answer to that question is, “Yes.” Unfortunately, as of today, you can have lightweight vacuum or you can have on board tools, but you cannot have both.
The following is a list of questions that we recommend you answer for yourself and give serious consideration to before choosing a vacuum. We at SoCal Vacuum & Janitorial utilize our knowledge and experience to take the answers to these questions and sift through the maze of over 200 choices in our store and narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices.
- Is your home single or multi-story?
- Who does the vacuuming in your home?
- How much of your floor is carpet? (as a percentage of total square footage)
- What type of carpet? (some of the new shags have very specific requirements or your warranty could be voided)
- How much of your floor is hard floor? (as a percentage of total square footage)
- What type of hard floors? (this can be very important in selecting a vacuum)
- Do you have pets?
- Does anyone in your family have allergies?
- Do you have your carpet cleaned professionally on a regular basis?
- What kind of vacuum do you currently use?
- What do you like about the vacuum?
- What do you dislike about the vacuum?
- Do you operate more than one vacuum?
- Do you use your vacuum to clean drapes? Shutters? Lampshades?
- Do you want a vacuum with on board cleaning tools and attachments?
- How long do you expect your vacuum to last?
- What is your budget for a vacuum?
Most people are very willing to share the answers to any of the other questions that we ask, but when we ask about budget, most people seem unwilling to answer this question. I suspect that it is a belief that we’ll point them to a more expensive vacuum. We have over 200 vacuum cleaners on display and the prices range from $19.99 to $1,300.00. It makes no sense for one of our professionals to spend time showing you a vacuum that fits all of your needs as you have described them, but costs $750, if your budget only allows for a maximum of $400. It is our desire to match you to 3 or 4 models out of the 200 choices that meet your specific needs.
Often customers ask us, “What’s the difference between that $200 vacuum and that $800 vacuum?” This is a fair and very reasonable question and is usually fairly simple to answer when we are in the showroom comparing two specific models. But to answer the question here without specific models, I will give you a GENERAL answer. When choosing a vacuum that is more expensive, there are generally 4 things that justify the additional investment:
- Longevity or Durability
Answering the questions above and finding a vacuum that may do a wonderful job of cleaning your home the way that you want is only part of the job. Once we have narrowed down the choices for you, we recommend that you “test drive” one in our showroom before choosing a vacuum. We will plug in each vacuum, and let you try each one so that you can determine whether it is right for you. If you find that a vacuum meets all of the criteria that we have established and you then take it home where it seldom gets used because it is “too heavy” or “awkward” or any other complaint, then it will not be a very good vacuum cleaner for you. The BEST vacuum is the one you will use often to keep your home or business clean.